Friday, March 4, 2011

Charlie

Well, I'm not quite sure what to say, but our cat Charlie had to be put down yesterday. My dad didn't tell me until this afternoon, he wanted to make sure I was done with classes. Charlie, our beautiful tuxedo cat, has been with us since November 2005, when she was just a wee-little take on the world bouncing kitten. I remember when mom brought her home, two weeks before Christmas as a total surprise. I was sitting at our family computer in the den when mom came in through the garage (we had a open ranch house) with a little stuffed kitteh with a silly gift bow, when I realized that she had a -real- kitteh!

Mom took right to little Charlie, and mom was a notoriously nonanimal lover, so it was remarkable how she took to Charlie. I always joked that Charlie would be my replacement when I'm off in college. Mom always calling her 'my baby' and having more pictures of her than me, it was a running joke. Charlie always followed mom around the house, watching her wash her face, clean the kitchen (attacking the washcloth while mom tried to clean the kitchen table and counters), sleeping with my mom every night... Mom's taking it hard.

But, I kept reminding mom over the phone earlier as we both sobbed and cried that we gave Charlie a wonderful life and that we're all better for having her in our family. Even Lucy, my cat, is giving mom some comfort. We just got to remember the good times and all the little Charlie-isms. Spring Break is the week after next so I'll be home for mom soon and we'll probably do some more crying and whatnot. Maybe we can make a special album for pictures of Charlie.


Charlie's usual fluffy antics at the computer desk, distracting with cuteness.


Way back when she was still a little kitteh rapscallion.


The most recent picture of Charlie and Lucy. She loved curling up for a hard-day's napping.

You'll always be in our hearts, we love you Charlie.
November 2005 - March 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment